Screencast-O-Matic screen recorder falls in a special category of software that operates online without having to use lots of local computer resources especially in terms of storage. That said, we can comfortably call Screencast-O-Matic an online screencasting tool backed by the fact that it resides on the web. As one of best screen recorders for Windows (click to see the full list), this software will enable you to record the screen and the webcam independently or even both the screen and webcam at the same time using the Picture-in-Picture (PIP) mode.
Getting started with Screencast-O-Matic is pretty simple. You just need to head to the official website, download a launcher which will prepare your Windows PC with the necessary requirements for the online screen recording to work without any issues and when all that is over, you will be ready for the first recording job.
It is worth noting that any time you need to record the screen, you can only launch the software from the web meaning you have to be online with a good internet connection.
Screencast-O-Matic comes as a free version software but can be upgraded at a cost to obtain access to more features. With the free version, you will be able to make screencasts but with limitations. We will take a different approach in this Screencast-O-Matic review to find out where the line is drawn between the free and premium version. From here you will be able to decide which version will auger best with your needs.
Screencast O Matic – Free Download
The free variant comes with basic features that will get you through with your first project but limit you in terms of the extent to which you can tinker with the recording.
Basically, you will be able to record the screen and the webcam depending on the kind of output you need or what you need to be captured. Screencast-O-Matic can remember the last recorded area, let you record a certain active application window like that of a browser and also the full Windows PC screen. This software gives you the option to either record in 480p or 720p resolution.
You are also not limited in adding captions to your video. These captions can be from a local file, speech-to-text with a choice of preferred language or even implement blank captions.
Better yet, when you are done recording, any unwanted start and end points of the video can be removed by utilizing the Screencast-O-Matic video trimming feature. In terms of storing the recording, Screencast-O-Matic allows you to save it as a video file, upload to Youtube or to screencast-o-matic.
The limitations you will be able to identify at first usage are the fact that you can only record for a maximum of 15 minutes only and that you can not record the system audio. To overcome the limitations, you are obligated to upgrade. Besides that you can not record system audio, adding music to your video also comes with limitations too. Screencast-O-Matic manages this process by selecting 3 random tracks for you leaving you no other option but to choose one to use from the list. This means you do not have the freedom of selecting your preferred track.
The premium version of Screencast-O-Matic has lots of extra features on top of what the free version offers. The obvious ones being that you are not limited in how long you can record and the ability to capture system audio during the screen recording process. You are also able to take screenshots whether from the screen or the webcam.
Majorly, premium Screencast-O-Matic is superior in the video editing features and special effects that it comes with. Like when using the webcam, you can flip the window horizontally and also have an option to remove the webcam background by utilizing the special green screen effect. This effect is not found in many screen recorders out there. Besides that, you are able to decide whether to show the webcam or even the scaling level you find optimum.
Additional video editing features of Screencast-O-Matic include;
- The ability to draw in real time during recording hence being able to point a viewer in the right direction.
- The ability to include your own music of choice to the video and unlimited access to a large library of royalty-free music coming with Screencast-O-Matic. This is in addition to the feature that lets you add narration using the PC microphone.
- You can import media (audio, videos, and images) from any source that you need to become part of your recording.
- Option to spice up the output even further by using transitions and overlays at the click of a button.
- You can draw the attention of the viewer to specific areas by using zoom in and zoom out effect or by making necessary highlights on the video.
- A wide range of annotations at your disposal including text, images, shapes, and blurring.
- When working with text annotations, you can tinker with the size, color and even the font style to use.
- Depending on what is happening at a certain timeline of the video, you can either decrease or increase the speed of the video. For instance, you can speed up a section where a single process takes quite some time to complete to avoid a viewer getting bored.
- A special speech-to-text feature that comes in handy when you need to use captions but you find it tedious to do the actual writing. Screencast-O-Matic will synthesize the audio to text form ready for you to apply where needed.
Besides the rich video editing features, when it comes to saving the recorded videos, Screencast-O-Matic provides some extra platforms where you can save your video. These extra platforms comprise Vimeo, Google Drive, and Dropbox. All you have to do is choose your preferred platform.
In this Screencast-O-Matic review, it is crystal clear that the premium version has a full pack of features to get the most out of the screen recording process. Whether to upgrade or not will be up to you depending on your needs. I can assure you a decision to upgrade will be worthwhile looking at the extra features you get at your disposal. That is all for this wonderful online screen recorder.