MakeMKV is an overly reliable program to convert videos into free and patent-unencumbered MKV format just as the name suggests. Basically, you get to transcode proprietary/encrypted videos into MKV file format equivalent while preserving all the metadata during the conversion process.
Through this, the new MKV file overcomes limitations to the original file like for instance playability. Compared to DVD and Blu-ray discs, the MKV format can be played on almost any platform out there without the need for specialized software. This review article seeks to let you in on all the features you are opened up to by this amazing converter app.
MakeMKV delivers exemplary results every time it is called to action thanks to keeping a good balance between performance and the quality of output.
Better yet, there is no steep learning curve encountered even for first-timers, not forgetting that all the features are available for free. Before we jump into the feature list, let us first dive into the pros and cons;
Pros & Cons of MakeMKV
- Multi-platform – MakeMKV is available for use on popular platforms including Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Fast DVD rip tool – Since there is no need for re-encoding, ripping a DVD with this program is super fast.
- Simple and instinctive – You are presented with an easy to use interface that makes it super convenient to navigate and accomplishing tasks like DVD to MKV conversion.
- Supports protected DVDs – MakeMKV is a reliable MKV decrypter for protected DVDs/Blu-rays and therefore an ideal choice.
- Metadata preservation – During the conversion process, you have the chance to preserve various metadata in the final MKV file.
- MKV-only – You can only output in MKV format.
How to Use MakeMKV
Key Features in MakeMKV
MakeMKV boasts of a ton of features that are geared towards the best experience ever in regards to making MKVs from the supported video formats. These features include;
- All the features are available for free when you grab the freeware version of this Blu-ray to MKV converter software.
- Offers a fast DVD/Blu-ray to MKV conversion process.
- Delivers quality video output at all times.
- Able to stream decrypted videos without the need for conversion.
- Is a multilingual tool that allows for the localization of the interface.
- Preserves chapters and metadata throughout the process.
- Supports latest AACS and BD+ Blu-ray protection technologies.
- Can be used on Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms.
- Offers Blu-ray processing and decryption all for free.
- Preserves all audio and video tracks that an MKV file can hold hassle-free.
- Lets you pick a preferred output directory to facilitate proper file management.
- A standalone app that does not need any extra apps or add-ons to perform as an avid MKV decrypter or converter.
DVD, Blu-ray, MKV, TS, ISO
Here are the system requirement to meet in order to run MakeMKV;
Windows XP SP1 or later – x86 & x64
Mac OS X 10.7 or later – x64
Linux 2.6.x or later
Any CPU with SSE2
1GB or more
MakeMKV is available in both freeware and shareware. As freeware, you get to stream or convert DVD/AVCHD disks for free without any limitations. However, as shareware, you get to enjoy all the functionality but only for 30 days after which you have to obtain a registration key.
MakeMKV is a Blu-ray and DVD rip tool that brings in the ultimate convenience. It is not only free but also fast and delivers quality output each time it is called to action.
The fact that you get to work on encrypted files gives MakeMKV a big plus and sets it apart from the competition. Whether you are on Mac, Linux, orWindows, this is definitely software worth giving a try at the end of the day.