Since its inception into the market back in 2003, Skype has been a go-to program for anyone looking to place a video or audio call over the internet. With time, it has come out to be pretty synonymous with video calling making it have a strong foundation and mainstay in the video call industry. This has been attributed to it providing a seamless user experience and at the same time very affordable compared to other tools out there. When Skype has been used in crucial instances like interviews, podcasts, conferences, and other interactions that need saving for future reference, there has come a necessity to have a reliable way to do that.
Until when Skype featured a native way to record Skype calls, users have had to resort to third-party Skype recorder that have managed to bridge this gap pretty well. Of course, Skype call recording does not just happen out of the blue but calls for the implementation of reliable software. In this article, you will get opened up to methods that you can use to record Skype audio or video calls on various platforms. On top of that, you will have a comprehensive tutorial on each tool to record Skype video calls so that you can have a heaven of time managing the task at hand. It is now the perfect moment to get guided on how to record Skype calls on various platforms.
How to Record Skype Calls on Windows PC
Windows is a very popular platform and has seen a great share of Skype call recorders crafted for it. For a long time, Skype did not feature a native call recording feature and this meant that users had to rely on third-party alternatives.
Now, Skype already boasts of this feature although there are users who would still want to rock third-party alternatives as they usually have more features. If you are a Windows PC enthusiast, this section looks at the various options you can take advantage of to record Skype video and audio calls. Without further ado, here are the ways that you can implement to record Skype calls on Windows.
Method #1). With Built-in Cloud-based Recording Function
Even before you can go on a quest to seek external software to record Skype calls, it is good to note that Skype has a cloud-based recording feature that will help you take care of the task at hand. With this feature, you need not worry about hogging on your computer resources or even running out of storage space. You can record for a maximum of 24 hours continuously although the long calls can be split into manageable multiple files.
- Step 1: Launch Skype and place a call to your preferred other party. Wait for it to connect before going to the next step.
- Step 2: With the Skype call connected successfully, click on the “3-dot” menu to open more options.
- Step 3: On the resulting menu, click on the “Start recording” option to begin the Skype call capture process. At this juncture, a notification in the form of a banner will be displayed alerting both parties that the session is being recorded.
- Step 4: End the Skype call and without the need for your interaction, the Skype call recording will be saved to your chat. Kindly note that the recording will be available online only for 30 days so make a point of saving the recording locally.
Getting to the last step means you must have a recording already done using the cloud-based function. As mentioned, the recording will reside online for only 30 days and this means that you need to save it on your computer to avoid it getting deleted after expiring. To learn how to do this, jump into the subsequent section below.
Download and Share Recordings
Now that you have successfully made your Skype recordings, you still have some extra steps to go through before you can have the files on your local disk. This process will involve you downloading the Skype call recordings so that further actions like sharing or playback can be performed conveniently. To achieve that, follow the simple steps below.
- Step 1: Head over to the chat that you have recorded and find the recorded file.
- Step 2: Click on the “More options” button that you can easily identify with the 3-dot icon to access the necessary menu.
- Step 3: From the resulting menu, select the “Save to Downloads” option to save the file directly to your default Downloads folder or select the “Save as” option to have more control over your preferred saving directory.
- Step 4: Use the default file explorer to navigate to the folder you choose and find the Skype call recording file.
This is a straightforward process that should not at all pose any hurdles on the way even if you are a first-timer.
Method #2). TalkHelper Call Recorder for Skype
Starting from the design, reliability, and Skype call recording capabilities, TalkHelper Call Recorder for Skype has proven to be a must-have program for any Skype enthusiast. It will offer you a 7-day free trial period without any limitations whatsoever for you to evaluate all the goodies that are availed to you regarding Skype call recording, both video, and audio.
You can rest assured that every Skype call that you record will be in the highest quality possible. This Skype call recorder also integrates directly with Skype to make sure that no video frame or audio is missed thanks to the supported automatic Skype recording mode. Here is the guide on how to record Skype calls with TalkHelper Call Recorder for Skype on Windows.
- Step 1: First and foremost, make sure you download and install TalkHelper Call Recorder for Skype if you do not have it already on your Windows PC. The 7-day trial version is free to download and has no limitations whatsoever.
- Step 2: Launch TalkHelper Call Recorder for Skype. Simply place a call on Skype and Talkhelper will immediately start capturing it although, for video calls, you have to click on the “Video Record” button on the main interface.
- Step 3: During the recording process, you can pause and resume the recording at any time and when done, just end the call and TalkHelper Call Recorder for Skype will stop recording at the same time. Alternatively, you can simply click on the “Stop” button.
- Step 4: When the call recording ends, the file will appear on the main interface list with details like the name, when the call was received, and the duration. From there, you will be able to play it back and share it.
And with that, you have managed to record a Skype call on your Windows using a reliable third-party program.
Method #3). MP3 Skype Recorder
MP3 Skype Recorder features a simple and instinctive user interface that will open you up to both manual and automatic Skype call recording modes on your Windows PC. It can be implemented in both personal and commercial scenarios without any limitations all for free. Each Skype call you make will be captured in the universal MP3 format that can be opened from any device without the need for special software.
Better yet, it can track simultaneous calls and save each separately which makes it soar above other similar functioning programs. To successfully record Skype calls with MP3 Skype Recorder, here are the detailed steps to follow.
- Step 1: Download, install, and launch the MP3 Skype Recorder. Once launched, double-check that the “ON” button is active and green to signify that it is ready to automatically record Skype audio.
- Step 2: To start recording, simply place a call on Skype and MP3 Skype Recorder will immediately start capturing it. At the same time, you will be notified that the Skype recording process has started. The bottom bar of the MP3 Skype Recorder will also indicate that the process is going on.
- Step 3: You can stop the Skype call recording process by simply ending the call on Skype or by just clicking on the “OFF” button on MP3 Skype Recorder for manual mode.
- Step 4: The call recording has been saved in MP3 format for you and all that you need to do now is navigate to the saving location and apply further actions like a playback for preview or just share with the target audience.
MP3 Skype Recorder saves the output files in a compact MP3 format that yields a considerable file size that is convenient for both sharing and archiving.
How to Record Skype Calls on Mac
This article seeks to let you in on how to record Skype calls on the most popular platforms and that means mac users have not been left behind on this train. Just like the Windows section, we will still have a go with the built-in Skype call recording feature before looking at the other tools that can be used to satisfy the same need.
We have gone the extra mile to bring you just the best apps that are guaranteed to kick the ball out of the park for you on Mac without any kind of hassle thanks to the included step by step guides for each. Having said that lets us now look at the various guides to record Skype calls on Mac.
Method #1). With Built-in Recording Feature
Just like on Windows, you can still use the same built-in recording feature on Mac and there are no discrepancies in the process whatsoever. Consequently, you can follow the same steps outlined when recording Skype on Windows and still get the expected results. This is because the version of Skype is the same and only the platforms are different. Below, we will outline the basic steps although you can still refer to the Windows section for a more comprehensive guide.
- Step 1: Start Skype and make a call.
- Step 2: Using the 3-dot menu, open the more options.
- Step 3: Hit the “Start recording” option to start recording the Skype call.
- Step 4: End the Skype call to stop the Skype call recording process.
Once you are done with the task to record Skype audio or video call, do not forget to download or save the file locally lest it is deleted automatically after 30 days. Refer to the Windows platform section to learn how to do that.
Method #2). Ecamm Call Recorder
Whether you are questing to supplement your notes or capture a call for future reference and sharing, Ecamm Call Recorder is an ideal program to bridge this gap for you on Mac. it may be a minimalistic Skype call recorder but that does not make it any less featureful.
It directly links up with Skype in a way that it can support automatic Skype call recording and after that, you have access to a built-in video editor. This comes in handy especially at a time when it is possible to forget to start the recording process in manual mode and the need for a refined output. Interviews, conversations, and podcasts can all be recorded conveniently and at a good shareable quality. To get started with Ecamm Call Recorder, here is a step by step guide for you.
- Step 1: On your Mac, download and set up Ecamm Call Recorder. After doing this, Skype a new “Recording” preference.
- Step 2: Head over to Skype and place a call. The moment you do this, a record window will pop on your Mac screen and all you need to do at this juncture is to hit the “Red” button to initiate the recording process.
- Step 3: When you are done with the call, again, go to the Ecamm Call Recorder window and click on the “Stop” button to bring the recording process to an end.
- Step 4: By default, Ecamm Call Recorder will save the SKype call records in the “Saved Calls” or “Movies” folders so navigate there to find the recorded files for further actions.
Easy peasy! Recording Skype calls on Mac has never been this easy. No matter your level of experience, this comprehensive guide will make the process feel just like a knife through butter.
Method #3). Callnote Pro
Callnote Pro is a top-notch Skype call recorder that will help you capture both audio and video calls on Mac and them locally for that extra convenience when it comes to playback or eventual necessary sharing. You will not only get a chance to record Skype calls in the ultimate HD quality but also have a chance to refine the video even further using the incorporated video editor.
Callnote Pro can be configured to record Skype video calls automatically or optionally go for the manual mode. When you are done with the process to record Skype calls, you get a unified library where you can access all your files. Here are the steps to sail you to success with Callnote Pro for Mac.
- Step 1: Download, install, and launch Callnote Pro. In the app list panel, ensure that Skype is selected as it is our target app of interest. Also, make sure to run Skype simultaneously.
- Step 2: On Skype, initiate a call and immediately you do so, a Callnote Pro minimal recording window will appear. All you need to do is click on the red record button to start recording. In manual mode, you need to head back to the main interface after flashing a call and click on the “RECORD” button.
- Step 3: To stop recording, you can just end the call and Callnote Pro will stop the process to record Skype calls automatically. For the manual mode enthusiasts, simply click on the “STOP” button on the main window or the miniature window.
- Step 4: To access your recording(s), click on the “Library” option on the topmost part of the Callnote Pro interface, and from there, you can apply all the necessary actions on the file.
Arming yourself with this comprehensive guide means that there should not be any hiccups whatsoever when it comes to using Callnote Pro as a third-party program to record Skype calls on Mac.
How to Record Skype for Business Calls/Meetings
Skype for Business fits well in any business providing very handy solutions for communication. Video and audio calls are of pristine quality and hence very reliable. It is capable of supporting even large meetings and conferences that form an integral part of a business. Of course, there comes a need to save or record these interactions either for future reference or for sharing purposes.
Skype for Business happens to have a recording manager built into it and has been a go-to option for such instances. It has just enough to get you started with the process to record Skype calls and in turn avoid looking for cumbersome software. Below are the methods that you are opened up to.
- Step 1: The first step is to set up Skype for Business on your device if you have not already done so.
- Step 2: Place a call on Skype and once connected, click on the “More Options” button that is in the form of 3 dots. From the resulting menu, select the “Start Recording” option to start the process to record the Skype call.
- Step 3: Depending on your preferences and when the need arises, you have several control options at your disposal. These will let you pause, resume, and even stop recording at your convenience.
- Step 4: Stop the recording process. To do this, click on the “Stop” icon that is next to the pause button on the Skype for Business interface so that your call recording can be saved for you automatically in the convenient MP4 format.
At the end of the day, you have managed to capture that meeting, interview, or any kind of Skype for Business conversation without the need to hassle seeking third-party software.
How to Record a Podcast on Skype
Skype has been very pivotal in facilitating communication over the internet for both video and audio calls. Even more, it has proven to be a wonderful tool that can be used for podcasts reliably and conveniently. It comes in to save on both the time and effort by ridding you of the need to have a personal presence in a certain place for a successful collaboration. Therefore, Skype will make it possible to have a podcast without necessarily meeting in person.
At the end of the day, you can come up with outstanding podcast content, and to make things even better, you can manage to record the same and share later. Podcasts can be recorded on Skype using various methods; one is by using the built-in Skype recorder manager and the other way is by using third-party programs that offer more features. To learn more and in great length regarding how to record a podcast on Skype, you can visit the “How to Record a Podcast on Skype” article that has exhaustively covered this specific topic.
This marks the end of the ultimate guide to record Skype calls for now and I believe that you have been enlightened to the greatest extent on how to tackle the task at hand – how to record Skype calls on the various platforms available. The process should not be daunting any more when you have some many options opened up to you here.