It is not all the time that you will be handling native PDF files because, at one point or the other, a scanned PDF or a PDF image file will find its way to you. The native PDF files do not pose any serious hurdles when it comes to converting from say PDF to Excel but when you have a scenario like the need to convert JPG to Excel, this will call you out of your comfort zone. The new task at hand will require a specialized tool that will be able to extract all the data accurately from the image file and then save in an editable Excel file. The feature in focus is the OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that sees to it that data is extracted from scanned PDF files into an editable format.
Of course, there is a cornucopia of tools out there that can convert PDF to Excel but at the same time, not all of them can handle PDF images in terms of data extraction. This brings us to the reason for the realization of this article which is none other than getting you acquainted with the best OCR conversion software solutions and on top of that guide you on how to use any of them. Let us dig in to find out what awaits you in regard to the go-to PDF image to Excel conversion programs.
Method #1: Convert PDF Image to Excel Offline with TalkHelper PDF Converter
Among the plethora of features that TalkHelper PDF Converter delivers is the much-coveted OCR feature that makes the perfect method to convert PDF image to Excel. The accuracy delivered by this offline tool is just on another level especially when you consider that you need not spend the time and effort correcting errors like what other alternative programs can take you through. Comprehensiveness is also the middle name of this tool as it supports up to 46 OCR languages that come in handy to facilitate accuracy.
At the same time, you are given the freedom to convert the whole image-based PDF file, specific pages, and even a page range of choice depending on what you prefer. On the simple and instinctive user interface, here are the steps on how to use this tool and retain the layout and formatting even after using the OCR feature.
- Select the “PDF To Excel” conversion mode. You will find this on the left panel under the “Convert PDF To Other Files” category.
- Click on the “Add File(s)” button to add a PDF image file to convert. This will open File Explorer so just navigate to the source directory, click on the PDF image file, and hit the “Open” button.
- Choose “OCR(Support Scanned PDF” as the convert mode. Make sure to also match the OCR language to the one in the scanned PDF you have added. This is ideal because we are dealing with an image-based PDF file.
- Click on the “Convert” button to start the image to Excel conversion process. Once the data extraction is done to 100% click on the file icon in the middle under the “Actions” tab to open the output XLSX file.
This will mark the end of the process to convert PDF image to Excel using TalkHelper PDF Converter and as you can concur with me, the process is neither tedious nor time-consuming at all. At the same time, you should be able to notice the accuracy of the extracted data in the opened Excel file when you compare it to the original scanned PDF.
Method #2 Convert PDF Image to Excel Online with Free Online OCR
As you can already deduce from the name, this is a tool that is comprehensive enough to handle scanned PDF files or rather convert PDF image to Excel. It is a pretty powerful and accommodating online app that has support for 46 recognition languages which further means that the most common document languages are covered.
As a free, fully-fledged OCR tool, it is capable of handling all the most common image formats although, for the best results, you must ensure that the image quality is top-notch. All the processing activities happen on the cloud hence saving a lot of your computer resources and at the same time deliver exemplary results at the end of the day. This online OCR will retain the layout and formatting as much as possible without the need to install any software on your computer. Here is the guide on how to get started with this piece of online software.
- On your web browser, navigate to www.onlineocr.net to access this tool’s official website which also serves as the working area.
- Upload a scanned PDF file that you need to OCR and save in the Excel format equivalent. Keep in mind the 15MB maximum file size limit.
- Pick your document OCR language. Matching the correct language will guarantee you that ultimate top-notch accuracy of text extraction.
- Select “Microsoft Excel (xlsx)” as the output format from the available drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Convert” button to commence the actual conversion. Hit the “Download Output File” link to save the converted Excel file locally on your computer. Once downloaded, open it to confirm that the text has been extracted as expected.
Even before you can download the final Excel file to your local computer, this tool delivers a preview of the extracted data though in a not organized format so that you can check whether the conversion has gone well and once you are satisfied, it is time to download the Excel file to your computer.
There you have it! Two awesome go-to solutions that will make the process to OCR scanned PDF files feel just like a knife through butter. You have not only had the chance to know which specific apps they are but also have accompanying guides on how to achieve the task at hand.
You should, therefore, have the ultimate convenience to convert JPG to Excel and even any other image-based PDF file without much hassle. The ball is now in your court. Pick the one program, online or offline that promises to lace your shoes in the best way possible to extract text and make it editable in Excel.