Camtasia (previously Camtasia Studio) is a powerful, all-in-one screencasting and editing tool from TechSmith that helps you to record your Windows PC screen then create polished and professional-looking videos. As one of the top Screen Recorder for Windows. You can record a game-play, a step-by-step guide tutorial or anything that is on your screen which you need to share in the form of a video in three easy steps. Record your screen, make necessary edits, and then add effects before sharing.
In this article, I will be reviewing Camtasia Studio 2018(Now Camtasia 2018) to get a good grip on what has changed or been improved and whether it has become a better choice for screen recording on the Windows platform. Personally, it is the preferred choice on my Windows 10 PC.
Without further ado, let us dive into what Camtasia 2018 has to offer.
Camtasia Studio – Free Download
|Product Name||Supported OS||Offline Version||Download Link|
|Camtasia Studio for Windows||Windows 7/8/10||Full Version||Free Download|
|TalkHelper Screen Recorder||Windows 7/8/8.1/10||Full Version||Free Download|
Newest features in Camtasia 2018
It would have been strange to have a change in the name without being accompanied by new features on the Camtasia Studio. In that line, TechSmith has introduced the following new features for the 2018 version of this top screencasting software.
Addition of brand new assets
Spice up your Camtasia videos with unlimited access to over 500,000 royalty-free stock assets which include stock videos (footages), intros, lower thirds, music, and more. You can quickly edit exclusive lower thirds and intros to match your brand theme and style. Moreover, a large collection of music, loops and sound effects to choose from is provided for that extra touch on the mood and feel of your video. Something to note is that these assets are only exclusive for Camtasia 2018 and later. TechSmith has a dedicated website for the “TechSmith Assets” and with $199 you get unlimited assets for a year.
Improvements on performance
After you have recorded the screen, editing the resulting video follows and nobody likes poor performance during this process as it may take a lot of time. The good news is that, compared to previous versions, the editor in Camtasia 2018 has been extra tweaked and refined for that smooth experience resulting in fast, time-saving and efficient editing. Enjoy more responsiveness and stability during timeline editing with the newly improved preview playback.
Who does not like themes? Personally, I am a greater fan of themes as they make what one is working on outstanding. This review can not leave out the fact that Camtasia 2018 now allows you to create infinite themes be it for your companies or personal styles and better yet have them in an organized way ready for use any time you need them. You can easily create, save and apply custom colors and font styles on your themes.
Besides the new features, Camtasia Studio 2018 has lots of other standard features that make it stand out among others. Let us look at these awesome features
- Screen Recorder – This is the first thing Camtasia 2018 enables you to accomplish. With this, you are able to capture video and audio from your Windows desktop.
- Media Importing – You can add any image, audio or video that was not part of your initial recording with just a few clicks and drags.
- Webcam Recording – This feature helps you to add a personal touch to your video by including yourself in the initial recording. If it is a tutorial or a walkthrough, the viewer will be able to understand more by following what you are doing.
- Multi-track Timeline – Camtasia Studio 2018 does not limit you in the number of multiple tracks you can add for your videos, text, images and audio. Add tracks as you see fit without much hassle.
- Voice Narration – Instead of just showing what you are doing on the video, Camtasia 2018 gives you an option to add narrated context to the video for even better understanding.
- Transitions – Make your video special with lots of transition effects to choose from. You can add an intro or outro to your media for that special feel.
- Green Screen – Want to appear like you are right in the action of the video? This is your go-to feature then. You can put yourself in the video through the green screen.
- Annotations – At some points in your video you may need to put across a point more clearly and thus arrows, callouts, shapes, highlights and more come in handy for this case. Camtasia Studio 2018 brings you all these annotations to help you achieve this.
- Animations and Visual Effects – Your recorded video can be made even better with necessary zooming, panning or the inclusion of customized motion effects all made possible by Camtasia 2018. In terms of visual effects, you can drop shadows, adjust colors or even the speed of the video.
- Interactivity – This is a special feature. It is good to know whether your video is being watched and this feature helps in that by enabling you to add quizzes at certain times in the video. Moreso, you will know to what length of time the video is being watched
- Cursor Effects – This is an effective feature to draw the viewer’s attention. Cursor effects have the ability to highlight, magnify or create a spotlight make the area where the mouse cursor is more noticeable.
- Behaviors – These were introduced in Camtasia Studio 9 and basically they liven up text or media with the chosen animation presets. They are easy to use as you just need to drag and drop on the target then hit play button to see the result.
Rendering and Sharing
After you have explored the features above and applied the needed ones to your project, Camtasia can export your movie to many different formats: MP4, FLV, SWF, MPV, AVI, Silverlight-compatible WMV, MOV, RM, even animated GIF or MP3. Better yet, Camtasia Studio 2018 can upload your movie directly to YouTube or Screencast.com, TechSmith’s own video hosting service.
However much you may enjoy a 30-day full trial, Camtasia Studio is not cheap when it comes to pricing. A single user license is going for €253.35 and an upgrade for €101.23 but I have to say it is worth it considering what is offered and making a comparison to the free screen recorders out there. TechSmith has put a lot into bringing you a fully fledged screen recording for your Windows 7/8/8.1/10. With Camtasia Studio 2018, you can be assured to drive the educational value aim of your video without compromising anything.
TechSmith has gone an extra mile to make sure that users of Camtasia Studio 2018 can get training on how to use the software efficiently. There are Youtube videos on how to do various tasks and maximize what the software can do. The learning process is well streamlined on their website with simple yet concise organization so that you can find what you need fast.
Camtasia Studio is a great screen recorder and video editor, but will you love it enough to pay the hefty price?