H.264 or Advanced Video Coding (AVC) is one of the most common media codecs for video recording, compression, and distribution. It was created to provide a standard for providing high-quality video at very low bitrates compared to previous standards like H.263. Then enters H.265 or High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), which is a more improved video compression standard that succeeds AVC.
H.265 helps to achieve 25-50% better data compression at the same quality or bitrate. As such, the HEVC codec proves very superior over H.264, and to get H.265 files from H.264, there is a need to seek the services of a video converter. Consequently, this article takes on the mandate of presenting you with the best ways to convert H264 to H265 without quality loss.
H.264 (AVC) vs H.265 (HEVC)
- Compression Ratio & Bandwidth: H.264 or AVC is a leading video compression standard for HD digital video content and the successor, H.265 or HEVC, brings even more efficiency, thereby achieving a higher compression ratio, up to 50% better. As a result of high compression, the H.265 codec reduces the bitrate and the overall file size, resulting in a lower bandwidth video compared to H.264.
- File Size: Taking into account that H.265 realizes a smaller bitrate at the same quality as an H.264 video, the overall file size of an H.265 is way smaller compared to the H.264 file equivalent. Specifically, H.265 can account for a 1-3X smaller video file than an H.264 encoded one.
- Video Quality: Video quality is usually determined by various factors including the bitrate and as mentioned, H.265 keeps a smaller bitrate footprint when compared to H.264. As such, if both H265 and H264 were to rock the same bitrate, expect H.265 to have a higher quality for the final video.
TalkHelper Video Converter is our pick for the best way to convert H264 to H265. It works with sheer diligence to ensure that exemplary output is delivered fast at all times. This H.264 to H.265 converter also opens you up to various perks like batch processing, quality adjustment options, a ton of formats like MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, among others, and a built-in downloader.
Steps to Convert H.264 Video to H.265 Using TalkHelper Video Converter:
Step 1: Add an H.264 video to convert by heading over to the “Add Media” menu and click on the “Add Video File…” option.
Step 2: Using the “Output Format” section, set the output to any format that supports the H.265 codec like MP4, and MKV.
Step 3: Set the saving directory, adjust the output video quality to your preference, and then hit the “Start Convert” button.
HandBrake is an open-source video converter and post-production tool for Windows, Linux, and Mac. It is well-set to handle common audio/video formats besides ripping DVDs or Blu-rays that are not copy protected. With this H264 to H265 encoder, you can also avoid the need to tinker with a ton of options, thanks to the built-in device presets.
- Offers video resizing and cropping options
- Supports task queueing and batch processing
- Available on multiple platforms
- Outputs smaller but high-quality videos
- Allows you to preview the output before conversion
- Supports very few output formats
- A bit slow
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Linux
Steps to Convert H264 to H265 Using Handbrake:
Step 1: Add or import the H.264 video file to convert it into H.265
Step 2: Pick your preferred H.265 preset, set the output format (MKV, MP4/M4V), configure where to save the converted video file, and then hit the “Start Encode” button.
FFmpeg is a top-notch multimedia framework that helps to encode H.264 files into the highly efficient H.265 files without any restrictions. Developers and normal users alike take on this command-driven HEVC converter to transcode, apply basic editing, scale, and apply effects to H.264 videos before saving in H.265 format. Coupling this with the built-in player, you need not seek external programs.
- Robust and secure
- Available on multiple platforms
- Excellent format support
- Features a ton of encoders and decoders
- Lacks a graphical user interface
- It can prove somewhat intimidating to some users
Supported OS: Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Steps to Convert H264 to H265 Using FFmpeg:
Step 1: Download the required FFmpeg executables to help in the process to turn H.264 to H.265.
Step 2: Place the source H.264 video file in the same directory as the FFmpeg executables.
Step 3: Open a command window in the same directory, type the command below (your file will have a different name), and hit “Enter” on your keyboard.
ffmpeg -i sample.mkv -c:v libx265 sample.mp4
AnyConv is an online file converter that can convert almost anything thrown at it including the task to convert H.264 to H.265. This online encoder presents a very straightforward multilingual interface that is friendly to even first-time users. Even better, encoding H.264 to H.265 happens pretty fast while still keeping the original quality intact.
Steps to Convert H264 to HEVC Using AnyConv:
Step 1: Using your favorite web browser program, navigate to https://anyconv.com/video-converter/ to access the relevant online interface.
Step 2: Click on the “CHOOSE FILE” button to import the H.264 video file to convert.
Step 3: Set the output format to H.265 and then hit the “CONVERT” button to complete the process.
Media.io, the now Online UniConverter, is an unlimiting and all-encompassing video converter with support for over 1000 video and audio formats. This online H264 to H265 converter promises 90X faster speeds and zero waiting time for all uploads and downloads, besides boasting batch processing. Regarding the output, this encoder can either output high-quality HEVC MP4 or HEVC MKV files.
Steps to Convert H.264 to H.265 Using Media.io:
Step 1: Open the Media.io online converter by opening this link https://www.media.io/video-converter.html on your preferred web browser app.
Step 2: Click on the “Choose Files” button to add the H.264 file to convert; you can also import the file from Dropbox, Google Drive, or YouTube.
Step 3: Set the output format to either HEVC MP4 or HEVC MKV and hit the “CONVERT” button.
Wait while the H264 to H265 process takes place and download the output once the Online UniConverter works its magic.
Arming yourself with any of these methods of converting H264 to H265 will guarantee a smooth sail, no matter the level of experience in video conversion. And one of the best things is that you can choose between online and offline HEVC encoder programs depending on your preferences. And with that, the ball is now in your court. Pick the one H.264 to H.265 program that promises you the smooth sail you like, and get started.