AVI, Audio Video Interleave, is a proprietary format from Microsoft containing both video and audio data with support for synchronous playback. AVI is pretty common since it is playable on almost any device, either offline or online and carries with it lots of simplicity. At the same time, the AVI file format strikes a good balance between the video quality and the overall file size.
On the other hand, MKV (Matroska Multimedia Container) is a free, open standard container format that can hold an unlimited number of media tracks all in a single file. Even with this perk, the MKV file format requires special software to playback and is not suitable for streaming.
As a result, the need to transform MKV to another much more reliable format is realized. This article seeks to let you in some of the top MKV to AVI converter programs that will get you out of this hassle.
The best MKV to AVI converter software is aimed at making high-quality AVI files from input MKV files while keeping conscious of manageable file sizes suitable for convenient playback, sharing/uploading, and streaming. Without further ado, it is time to get acquainted with the best go-to solutions at your disposal.
6 Great MKV to AVI Converters on Windows & Mac – Free Download
Software Name Supported OS Offline Version Download Link Windows/Mac Full Version Free Download Windows/Mac Free Version Free Download Windows Free Trial Free Download Windows/Mac Free Trial Free Download Windows Full Version Free Download Windows/Mac Free Version Free Download
1). TalkHelper Video Converter (Recommended)
TalkHelper Video Converter champions as the best MKV to AVI converter software by being pretty comprehensive and delivering exemplary results in the task to make AVI files from MKV files. Here are all the good features awaiting you;
- All-in-one converter software with support for popular video and audio formats like MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, WMV, MP3, among others.
- Offers an online video downloader supporting YouTube, Vimeo, among other sides.
- Helps you convert MKV tiles in HD quality thanks to top codecs like H.264/AVC.
- Comes with built-in presets that rid you of the need to tinker with lots of options when converting MV files into the AVI file format equivalent.
- Makes it possible to extract audio tracks or video frames from MKV files with ease.
- Provides full device compatibility for the output AVI file as it is playable on almost any device.
- High-quality and efficiency are the only vocabularies this program understands; high-level algorithms are utilized to offer lossless conversion.
- Batch conversion can also be realized through the use of multicore processing; the output arrives faster.
2). VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is not just popular as a media player but also comes with video conversion properties under the hood. Regarding MKV to AVI conversion, here is what you can expect;
- Free, open-source with availability on Mac, Linux, Windows, Android, and iOS.
- Offers hardware decoding that is fast enough to ensure a good performance.
- Presents advanced options to help you tweak various parameters for a satisfactory conversion process.
- Lets you synchronize audio and video at the click of a button.
- Apart from video, you can also output into some of the popular audio file formats.
- Lets you preview or play the AVI output on the player screen as the conversion continues.
- Offers various presets that you can choose from to tailor the output to your needs.
- Comes with a Dump Raw Input mode that changes the MKV file into AVI format while keeping the file sizes the same.
- You are free to pick the output directly for the final AVI file.
DVDFab Video Converter is a powerful and fully-fledged video converter and is considered one of the best MKV to AVI converter due to the following;
- Lets you convert any MKV file to AVI format that is playable on almost any device.
- Features an Enlarger AI that can upscale low-resolution videos by up to 300%, like for instance 480p to 1080p, or 1080p to 4K.
- Offers conversion profiles to help you convert MKV files conveniently.
- For even better performance, this converter app boasts of hardware-acceleration for popular GPUs like NVIDIA and Intel Quick Sync.
- Features a built-in non-linear video editor with nifty features to help you trim, crop, add special effects/subtitles/intros/outro/title to the AVI file with ease.
- Lets you adjust various audio and video parameters in order to give you total control over the output quality of the final AVI file.
- Makes it possible to convert multiple MKV files into AVI simultaneously.
- Capable of fixing broken metadata during the conversion process.
Any Video Converter lives to its name by handling the conversion of almost any video and audio out there. What makes this a good go-to converter?
- Available on both Windows and Mac platforms with no ads, spyware, or malware.
- Converts MKV to AVI with 100% lossless quality.
- Also offers a video downloader, editor, and DVD burner for the output AVI files.
- Boasts of hardware-accelerated conversion on NVIDIA NVENC, AMD AMF, and Intel QSV GPUs for that high performance.
- Offers an online video downloader that can save the video files directly into AVI format.
- Utilizes highly-efficient video codecs like HEVC/H.265 where the MKV file is much more compressed in the converted AVI file while keeping the quality intact.
- To enhance the final AVI file, you get some editing features to trim, split, crop, rotate, flip, merge, watermark, add effects/subtitles, for a touch of personalization.
- Offers batch conversion.
Freemake Video Converter is a good converter app since it can convert between over 500 file and gadget formats while still providing video editing options. Here are some of the top features you are opened up to;
- Absolutely free without any trial periods or limitations.
- Lets you convert any MKV file, no matter the size, into AVI without any hassle.
- Supports a to of formats in addition to MKV including MOV, DVD, MP4, MP3, AVI, Android, iPhone, among others.
- Helps you convert multiple MKV files into AVI format all at the same time.
- Boasts of top-tier codecs like H.264, MKV, AAC, and MPEG4.
- Lets you download online videos in MKV or any other format and directly save them in AVI format automatically.
- Offers built-in presets that help tailor the output AVI file to suit the target playback device without the need to tinker with lots of settings.
- Lets you convert 4K, Full HD 1080p, and HD 720p MKV files into AVI format equivalent without quality loss.
- Converts MKV movies with subtitles to AVI with extra subtitle management options.
HandBrake is one of the top software to transform MKV files into AVI and has a good share of amazing features as you are about to learn. This converter program boasts of the following;
- Free and open source.
- Multi-platform with availability for use on Linux, Windows, and Mac.
- Simple, easy, and fast when converting MKV files into AVI format.
- Features built-in presets with optimized profiles for specific devices like Android, Apple, Chromecast, etc for standard and high-quality conversion.
- Offers both basic and advanced tweaks to improve the process to convert MKV to AVI, like for instance the ability to apply a constant quality or average bitrate.
- Supports multiple input formats including DVD, BluRay, among normal formats like MKV, MP4, etc.
- Offers audio encoding in AAC, MP3, AC3, or Vorbis to accompany the final AVI file format besides a ton of video filters.
- To ensure a high-quality output, this converter gives you the luxury of modern codecs like H.265, H.264, VP8/9, and Theora.
- Lets you convert MKV files in batch mode besides letting you queue encodes.
The best MKV to AVI converter is definitely a program that is necessary to transform MKV files into AVI when the need arises.
As made evident by this article, you have a plethora of programs that fall into this category, and all promise to give a comprehensive experience of delivering high-quality results with a touch of good performance. All you need to do is pick one and put it to the ultimate test. Which program do you settle from this list?