A 4K video converter is an online or offline tool that helps you convert 4K videos into other formats, resolutions, sizes, and vice versa. Nowadays, 4K content is all around us, especially now that devices like iPhones can shoot 4K 30/60FPS, GoPro and DJI capturing 4K UHD videos, Cinema 4K, 4K 4:3, Canon 4K 10bit HDR (up to 60/120FPS), besides streaming 4K content on various platforms like YouTube. The popularity of 4K stems from its crisper and HD video quality over other formats.
However, things get complicated when you need to export 4K videos from iPhone to TV/computers, playback on Windows/Mac, or edit in apps like DaVinci Resolve, iMovie, Premiere, and more. As such, the need for a 4K video converter is inevitable for a smooth sail when playing or editing 4K videos. In this article, we will present you the best 4K video converters on Windows, Mac, web, and Android smartphones.
4K Video Converter: Why You Need It?
- Compatibility issues – Some 4K video formats may not be playable or editable and thus require conversion to other formats.
- Downscaling 4K videos – Turn down the video resolution without losing quality to facilitate quick sharing and saving storage space. For instance, 4K to 1080P.
- Upscaling low-res videos to 4K – For a streamlined 4K video editing process and revitalizing low-resolution videos. For instance, 1080P to 4K.
- Addressing laggy/stuttery 4K clips – Some devices fall short when you need to play and edit 4K HEVC footage smoothly.
- Resource hungry – 4K videos are CPU intensive (both in playback and editing) and result in choppy performance on underpowered devices.
6 Great 4K Video Converter Software – Free Download
|Software Name||Supported OS||Version||Download Link|
|Windows||Full Version||Free Download|
|Windows, Mac||Free Demo||Free Download|
|Windows, Mac||Free Trial||Free Download|
|Mac||Free Trial||Free Download|
|Web-based||Free Demo||Free Download|
|Android||Fee Version||Free Download|
#1. TalkHelper 4K Video Converter (Recommended)
TalkHelper 4K Video Converter is the best offline program to convert 4K videos on Windows PC. With this free download tool, you can upscale low-res videos (360P, 480P, HD 720P, Full HD 1080P) to 4K Ultra HD to improve the viewing experience or downscale 4K videos to save disk space and accommodate more devices. Also, you need not adjust many options since TalkHelper Video Converter presents optimized profiles that help you convert 4K videos with a single click.
In addition, TalkHelper has a special copy function that helps you change the 4K video container (like MKV to MP4) while retaining the original quality, and this way, you open up the video to a bigger audience.
- It can convert 4K videos to any device or platform like Samsung, Xiaomi, Apple iPhone, Sony PSP, Xbox, Google Android, and more.
- It has no limitations in terms of the 4K video file size or length you can convert.
- It helps you convert 4K videos into various formats like MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, WMV, DVD, MP3, and more.
- It supports popular codecs like H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, and MPEG-4 to guarantee support for 4K playback on the target device.
- It allows you to download and convert 4K videos from popular websites like YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, and more.
Supported Platforms: Windows
Best for: A comprehensive 4K video conversion process with options to upscale and downscale 4K videos without quality loss or intrusive watermarks.
WinX Video Converter is a free download 4K video converter tool that strikes the perfect balance between high-speed processing and high-quality output. Specifically, you get to convert HEVC 4K 60FPS videos from smartphones, UHD 240FPS slow-mo clips from DJI/GoPro/YI, and even compress 4K HDR10 videos from drones up to 90% smaller. Besides you can cut long 4K clips to extract just the needed footage.
In addition, WinX Video Converter allows you to process and convert high-res uncompressed and raw 4K footage from DSLR and mirrorless cameras hassle-free. Furthermore, this offline tool helps you save 8K/4K videos from over 1000 sites (like YouTube) and batch convert them into your desired format or resolution.
- It allows you to convert 4K videos into many formats like MP4, MKV, AV1, M2TS, AVI, WMV, MOV, and more.
- It helps you merge, split, and edit 4K videos to enhance the playback experience.
- It allows you to download and convert online 8K/4K/HD videos from over 1000 sites.
- It helps you resize 4K videos regardless of the codec (HEVC/H.264) or framerate (60/120/240fps) to save storage space and facilitate faster video sharing.
- It supports up to 47X faster 4K video conversion thanks to Level-3 Hardware Acceleration.
Supported Platforms: Windows and Mac
Best for: A GPU-accelerated 4K video conversion process with options to compress, edit and download online 4K videos.
Movavi Video Converter boasts over 200 presets that help you convert 4K videos into almost any device (Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi) or format (MP4, M2TS, AVI, MOV, WMV, DVD, Blu Ray). Also, it allows you to turn the 4K videos into specific, target- device resolutions like Full HD 1080P, HD 720P, 640×480, and more.
Even better, Movavi Video Converter helps you turn 4K clips into image formats like GIF, JPG, and PNG when necessary. You also get video editing options to help you crop, rotate, and add subtitles to clips for a more personalized output.
- It supports ultra-fast GPU-accelerated 4K video conversion.
- It allows you to trim, merge and convert multiple 4K videos simultaneously.
- It helps you convert 4K clips for use on video editing programs like Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Davinci Resolve, and more.
- It helps to compress 4K videos into smaller video files while retaining the original quality.
- It boasts a special AI quality upscaling feature that helps convert low-resolution videos into 4K quality for a better viewing experience.
Supported Platforms: Windows and Mac
Best for: Convert and resize 4K videos without losing quality
AnyMP4 4K Converter is a Mac app that helps you turn 4K videos into Full HD 1080P clips and vice versa. This 4K video converter app for Mac boasts fast processing speeds and many supported formats like MP4, MOV, M4V, AVI, WMV, MKV, and FLV. Besides, you get to convert 4K (4096×2160) videos shot with cameras like Sony FDR-AX33/B, Canon EOS 1D-C, Canon EOS C500, Panasonic HC-V130EB-K, Canon XC10, Sony FDR-AX1, Sony FDR-AX100E, and more.
Furthermore, you get a special 4K toolbox hosting a video compressor, GIF maker, a tool to speed up or slow down video speed, and more. In addition, you will love that this 4K video converter is free to use without any form of limitations.
- It allows you to convert 4K clips into 2D or 3D videos
- It utilizes GPU acceleration for faster 4K video conversion
- It helps you convert 4K videos for playback on digital devices like iPhone, iPad, iPod, and more
- It presets multiple 4K video editing options to help trim, crop, watermark, add effects, and merge clips into a single file.
Supported Platforms: Mac
Best for: Convert 4K Ultra HD videos to 1080P at super fast conversion speeds on Mac.
#5. FlexClip Online Video Converter
FlexClip Online Video Converter is a go-to service if you wish to convert 4K videos for free and without installing software. FlexClip allows you to adjust various output parameters to suit your needs. For instance, you can decide to keep the original 4K resolution or pick a different one like 360P, 480P, 720P, and 1080P. Besides, you get to select your preferred output format (MP4, WebM) and quality level (Low, Medium, or High).
Fortunately, there are no complex settings associated with this online app, making it suitable for novice users who need access to 4K video conversion options on the go.
- It allows you to set your preferred video size.
- You get an option to convert 4K videos without quality loss.
- It boasts fast online 4K video conversion on any device or platform.
Supported Platforms: Web-based
Best for: A free online 4K video converter that allows you to turn 4K videos into any format, resolution, or size with the ultimate convenience.
Video Converter, Compressor is the fastest 4K video converter and compressor app for Android devices that supports video formats like MP4, MKV, AVI, 3GP, MOV, MTS, MPEG, MPG, WMV, M4V, VOB, FLV, etc. With this Android app, you can turn any 4K video into predefined or custom resolution clips like 240P, 480P, 720P, 1080P, and more.
Apart from the video resolution, you are free to tweak the frame rate and bitrate (CBR or VBR) to your spot-on preferences. Further, you get to convert 4K videos along with subtitle tracks like subrip, mov_text, srt, webvtt, and vtt formats.
- It allows you to compress 4K videos to any size, by adjusting the bitrate, with nearly original video quality.
- It boasts a rich 4K video editor to help you cut, trim, flip, rotate, and merge clips easily.
- It supports a wide range of popular codecs like H264, MPEG-4, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and more.
- It allows you to queue 4K conversion tasks as you prepare new jobs.
- You can set your preferred video aspect ratio and quality level depending on the target device.
Supported Platforms: Android
Best for: Convert, compress, and edit 4K videos into almost any video or audio format on Android smartphones and tablets.
4K Video Converter: FAQ
TalkHelper Video Converter is the ultimate 4K video converter software that provides a hassle-free process. Follow this guide to convert any video file into 4K;
Step 1: Download, install and launch TalkHelper Video Converter.
Step 2: Import a video file using the “Add Media” menu > “Add Video File…”.
Step 3: Expand the “Output” menu > “Popular” and pick a format like MP4.
Step 4: Select the “4K Ultra HD” sub-format and click “Start Convert”.
Upscaling videos to 4K can be a daunting task without a suitable program. Luckily, WinX Video Converter is a go-to video upscaler, and to turn any 1080P clip into 4K quality, here are the steps to follow;
Step 1: Set up WinX Video Converter on Windows or Mac.
Step 2: Use the “Video” button to import a 1080P video file.
Step 3: Select a 4K video format from the “General Profiles” section.
Step 4: Hit the “OK” button and click “RUN”.
If you are looking for an online method to upscale videos into 4K quality, FlexClip is an avid and free 4K converter that requires you to follow this simple step-by-step guide;
Step 1: Open FlexClip using https://www.flexclip.com/tools/convert-video/.
Step 2: Click the “Browse Video” button to import a video.
Step 3: Select “4K” from the “Resolution” drop-down menu.
Step 4: Pick your preferred Format, Quality and hit “Start”.