The PDF file format is a very popular one in the document industry and has its share of perks that makes it very important. However, it is not all the time that it proves to be the best format to work with and this calls for the transformation of the format into another ideal format that will give you the kind of convenience you are looking for.
This takes us to the title of this post that takes you on a journey to discover the best PDF to Word converter software [Jump to the list]. One main reason that would drive you to convert PDF to Word is if you are seeking to edit the PDF content considering that the PDF file format is not easily editable. Moreover, considering just how the market is flooded with tools to convert PDF to Word, you will be happy to know that this article goes the extra mile to bring you just the best PDF to Word converter software that you can either download or access as online services.
On top of that, you will take a trip that will give you great insight into the PDF to DOC or PDF to DOCX process like for instance what to consider when settling on a specific tool to turn PDF into Word. Having said that, let us now dive in and find out what is in store for you in regard to the PDF to Word converter topic.
What’s a PDF to Word Converter?
PDF to Word converter is a desktop software or online service that lets you change or transform the PDF format into Microsoft Word format. The transformation happens in such a way that even with the change in the format, the original content still remains the same. To ensure that you get the right kind of reliable results, employing a goof PDF to Word converter tool is advisable.
Best PDF to Word Converter: What to Consider?
As we mentioned earlier, lots of PDF to Word converter programs are available in the market but not all of them can pass as the best. This applies to both the desktop and online service versions of such software as they are both aimed at delivering the same kind of output.
Now, we take a moment to really find out what makes a good program to convert PDF to Word so that when we set out on a quest for the best option, it will not be a complicated task to accomplish. Here are the traits that you should focus on when you are after a good PDF to Word converter tool – both online or offline.
- Ease-of-use – This is usually the first trait that you are able to confirm even before anything else. By being easy to use, a PDF to Word converter manages to accommodate pretty much everyone regardless of the level of expertise. Usually, how easy it is to use an app will be determined by the user-friendliness, intuitiveness, and generally how convenient it is to get around the converter. When this factor is emphasized and implemented in the best way possible, the process to turn PDF to Word becomes way much faster.
- Supports both native and scanned PDF – A PDF file can either be in a normal/native form which is easier to transform or the scanned form that requires a special function to transform. To successfully convert a scanned PDF file, an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) feature must come into play. Consequently, a program that can handle both of these types of PDF files is an overly good and ideal choice.
- Format retention after conversion even for a format-rich PDF – One of the biggest hurdles you face during PDF conversion has to do with the format and layout of the original file. There is a tendency of some tools to fail greatly when it comes to format-retention and only the best PDF to Word converter apps are able to overcome this. In fact, a good tool to turn PDF into Word is one that does not struggle with the layout preservation no matter how format-rich the source PDF file is.
- Support Batch conversion – Imagine a situation where you have a boatload of PDF files that need to be converted. Of course, if you decide to process one file at a time, this will not only consume quite a lot of time but will also prove to be tedious. When a tool to convert PDF to Word supports batch conversion, the process becomes fast and very convenient since the PDF files are converted simultaneously. All you have to do is import your files or even a whole folder, hit the conversion button, and wait for the output.
- High Conversion Speed – We all love a process that happens fast so that the completion stage becomes just moments away. The best PDF to Word converter software will go the extra mile to ensure that high speeds are put into the conversion process to deliver the output in a timely manner. This brings a feeling of great efficiency and goes a long way to facilitate other functions like the batch conversion feature. It would be pretty frustrating to have to wait for ages for the output Microsoft Word documents to be delivered.
- Support both DOC and DOCX as output formats – A good PDF to Word converter program will give you the choice of either using the DOC or DOCX as your target output format. The DOC format is more of a compatibility format that is attributed to Word 97-2003 while the DOCX format is the modern format that is mostly used nowadays. When a program is capable of letting you convert PDF to DOC or PDF to DOCX, it means that you have the freedom of choice regarding the output format depending on the target audience.
Now that you are conversant with the driving factors that make up a good tool to convert PDF to Word, let us now have a look at how these programs are categorized. To be specific, we will be comparing the desktop and online variants in order to discover their pros and cons.
Desktop PDF to Word Converter VS Online PDF to Word Converter
The software market is good enough to open you to both desktop and online versions of PDF to Word converters so that you can rock the one that augurs the best with you. Of course, there are definitely factors that will drive you to either desktop software or online service as we are just about to find out. In this section, we will dive into the pros and cons of each kind of software so that you can make an informed decision at the end of the day.
While the software industry strives to go minimal, light, and portable, desktop apps have not left the stage yet as they still have every reason to stay especially considering how highly-specialized they can be besides other advanced features. Here, we will be looking at the pros and cons of the desktop apps to turn PDF into Word to help you decide easily.
- Functionality – Since the software runs locally, you are opened up to quite a lot more functionality in terms of features when compared to an online service.
- Easier to work offline – A desktop PDF to Word converter is very easy to work with considering you do not need to be online for full functionality. You just need to launch the tool and jump right into business.
- Best-suited when the cloud is not necessary – unless you must use an online service, the desktop version is fulfilling enough in the PDF to Word process.
- Lacks portability – this is one main setback of desktop software as it can only be used on the workstation it has been set upon. For online services, portability is the middle name.
- Maintenance is your responsibility – Here, we are referring to tasks like updating, reinstalling in the case of corruption, among others that determine how useful the app is. For online services, this is not among your worries.
- No cross-platform functionality – Unlike online PDF to Word conversion services, you have to develop a separate software for every available platform.
Just like the desktop versions, online PDF to Word converters also have their share of pros and cons that influence your choice over desktop software. Without further ado, let us jump right into the pros and cons.
- Portability – Since these apps work in the cloud, it means that they can be accessed from any device as long as you have a browser and a good internet connection thanks to synchronization. This is not the case with desktop software.
- Subscription model option – Unlike a desktop software that you have to purchase as a whole, online services provide a different model where you subscribe to just the services that you need.
- Hardware and software compatibility issues are minimal – This is realized because the conversion does not happen on the local computer like the case for an actual desktop software installation. All will run fine on a good internet connection with the cloud taking care of everything.
- Accessibility – No matter the device or platform you are on, you can access the service at any time without any restrictions. For desktop software, this is not easy especially considering that you need to install the software on each and every device which may not be supported on some.
- Performance depends on the internet connection – If you have a poor connection the experience will not be fun at all and it is advisable to switch to a desktop app in such a situation.
- Limitations in functionality – It is the common norm to have an online tool stripped of most features while the desktop version of the same gets to bring you all the full features.
- Invest in security – Online apps usually suffer from security issues and this means that you have to take action to see to it that you are protected. This, of course, will cost you and this is where you would rather opt to go for a desktop PDF to Word converter.
With this information at the palms of your hands, it is a good time to introduce to you the various software solutions that you are opened up to in your quest to turn PDF into Word. Without further ado, let us jump right into our list of the best PDF to Word converter software.
Top 9 PDF To Word Converter Software – Free Download
By now, I am sure that at the back of your mind, you just know the kind of tool that you are looking for after going through the previous sections. Finding the best PDF to Word converter software is not a walk in the park if you are not at all familiar with the available tools in the market. We care about you and do not want you to hassle plowing through the internet in search of the best PDF to Word.
That is why we have done the hard work for you to bring at your doorstep the various go-to solutions that you can bank on. We will not take a lot of time here in the intro as I am sure you are dying to get acquainted with the top tools to convert PDF to Word.
1). TalkHelper PDF Converter (Recommended)
TalkHelper PDF Converter has always been considered to be at the tippy top of the mountain when it comes to PDF conversion. It is a good offline program that promises to deliver high-quality output notwithstanding whether you are working on a native or scanned PDF file – the built-in OCR plays a very big role in the success of this process.
When you decide to get started with it, you can rest assured that the original format and layout of the PDF file will be retained in the converted Microsoft Word document to signify just how powerful this program is. Pretty much anyone can get started with this app as it features a simple and instinctive user interface that first-timers will not struggle with besides the inclusion of the much-coveted drag-and-drop feature for importing files. With over 46 OCR languages, extracting text from almost any document becomes convenient and that means you can kiss goodbye to the need to retype content.
Investintech has considered that you may be looking for all the convenience possible when you need to convert PDFs into Word. That is why they bring you a free online tool that you can work with without having to worry about any registrations. In fact, you can choose to work with the tool while completely anonymous. This top app will open you up to both high-speed conversion and at the same time ensure that this does not have a negative effect on the accuracy.
You will be surprised to learn that Investintech Free Online PDF to Word Converter can convert more than 100 pages of a PDF file all in under a minute. To make this even better, the batch conversion feature is also at your disposal to help you process multiple PDF files all at the same time. In the instance you have to work on a scanned PDF file, worry not as the built-in multi-language OCR has got you covered. Your files remain safe on the internet and you get to enjoy no limitations at all.
If you are in search of a combination of speed, ease of use, and high-quality PDF conversion, WPS has proven to be the right candidate for just that. It will provide you with all those top features and still make sure that the format retention is still a notch higher than what other tools are able to offer. Remember that you are not required to apply any form of registration to access the goodies that this program carries under its arms.
On top of that, at the click of a button, multiple PDF files can be converted into their equivalent Word formats all thanks to the batch conversion feature. It also takes into account the need for both DOC and DOCX formats and that is why you can decide which one you need during the output process. Better, WPS features a very user-friendly user interface and in just a matter of a few clicks, you will be looking at your converted Microsoft Word documents.
Nitro Pro is a good offline app to convert PDF to Word and has its share of features that will pull you to it. One thing that you will appreciate is just how intuitive this tool is as it features a clear and concise interface that shouldn’t be any hard to navigate. It offers a quick process to turn any PDF to Word and at the same time retains the formatting to rid you of the need to take time fixing any layout inconsistencies as it is maybe the case with some other tools out there.
To accommodate everyone, this program can be used in both commercial and non-commercial environments and no matter the one you are using, the output results are just exemplary. We wouldn’t be doing justice to this program if we forgot to recognize the fact that it has the ability to convert multiple PDF files simultaneously. At the end of the day, you have yourself a comprehensive PDF to Word software that will not disappoint you.
The moment you download this software, you will set yourself on a path to experience some of the most unique features when it comes to PDF conversion. UniPDF strives to give you all the freedom to convert PDF files in line with your needs, DOC or DOCX, while at the same time keeping the original layout and formatting. Anytime you have to convert multiple PDF files, you need not invest a lot of time and effort in that as you can batch convert files and even PDF folders with the ultimate convenience.
The conversions happen pretty super-fast and better yet, you can either choose to either rock full or partial conversion. Partial conversion is best-suited when converting the whole PDF file is not necessary. Another thing that you will love about this tool is just how user friendly it is interface-wise and the incorporation of the simple drag-and-drop option for importing files. Other than that, you get access to a built-in OCR that comes in handy when you have scanned PDF files.
Foxit PhantomPDF Standard aims at providing you with that all-encompassing experience in regard to PDF files. In fact, you will be opening yourself to great levels of convenience when you download this PDF to Word converter. It features an overly simple and instinctive user interface in order to help you get around easily no matter your prior experience. You will get to enjoy batch conversion when the need arises on top of reliable conversion speeds that see to it that you do not have to wait for ages for the output to be delivered.
At the same time, you must commend this tool for the included OCR feature that will rid you of the need to retype any continent and in doing so, save you a great deal of both the time and effort. As one of the most coveted features, format and layout retention are at the top of this tool’s vocabulary to guarantee just the best output quality.
7). Adobe Acrobat DC
The PDF format is from Adobe and this means that putting software like Adobe Acrobat DC into practice sets you on a path to awesomeness. This is because it is able to handle the conversion task in the most comprehensive and satisfactory way. In fact, it makes you forget all the copy-and-paste instances that you may have planned in your mind to obtain content from a PDF file in an editable format.
At the same time, you will appreciate just how much this PDF to Word converter app strives to retain all the layout and formatting be it bullets, tables, fonts, and any other content in the original PDF file. While some tools will require you to enable the OCR feature manually when working on a scanned PDF file, Adobe Acrobat DC takes a different approach to OCR your PDFs automatically once they are detected to be scanned in nature. Better yet, you get to convert just what you need making the process efficient and easy.
SmallPDF is online software that delivers a plethora of tools aimed at managing your documents in the most comprehensive way. It, therefore, goes without saying that working to convert PDF to Word is made convenient by this web program. Let not the name deceive you as this is one of the best PDF to Word converter tools that is not only easy to use but also provides you with a quick way of realizing the task at hand. Working online is also safe for you since your privacy is of the utmost importance – all your files are deleted from the servers completely one hour after the conversion process.
There are no limitations whatsoever with this tool nor are you required to register to enjoy the services. Better yet, you can work from any platform as you only need a modern web browser and a good internet connection to get started. In just a matter of seconds, you will be looking at the best quality Word files possible not forgetting the inclusion of a built-in OCR.
This is another online PDF to Word tool that boasts of a very simple user interface that also happens to be overly intuitive. Importing PDF files can either be done natively or via the simple drag-and-drop feature that this app happens to support out of the box. In case your files reside online like on Google Drive or Dropbox, you also get a chance to import them from these integrated cloud services.
iLovePDF is incredibly accurate in what it does and this ensures that you have the highest quality Word files at the end of the day. Another thing is that the conversion process is done in a very short time without taking a toll on your computer resources and the output will download automatically to your local computer on completion. This program utilizes the Solid Documents engine that is known to retain the original layout and formatting to the greatest extent making it a very powerful tool to turn PDF into Word.
The ball is now in your court. You have had a chance to journey through the best PDF to Word converter topic and have enough knowledge all ready to help you pick the top tool. The list of the best PDF to Word converter programs has been carefully selected for you to make it easy for you to quickly choose one app considering just how many of them are out there in the market. On top of that, you have at your disposal the factors to consider when selecting a good app and also whether to go for a desktop or online version. Putting all that into consideration, you shouldn’t have any trouble settling on a specific tool.